Saturday, February 9: Genesis 35- .

When I read verse 2, So Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, "Get rid of the foreign gods you have with you, and purify yourselves and change your clothes…” I wondered about times of purposeful spiritual cleansing… times when we intentionally look into the ‘closets of our lives’ and root out the things from our old pre-Christ way of living. I wondered if it isn’t healthy to do spiritual spring cleaning; clean up and wash off the parts of our lives that get soiled from life.

This week the season of Lent begins and I thought, well, Church tradition thinks times of spiritual cleansing and ‘spiritual spring cleaning’ are useful. Hmmm maybe I should pay more attention to this.

But I certainly don’t have to wait for particular Church seasons. Like Jacob maybe particular calls of God should be set in motion by spiritual cleansing before action?

This certainly deserves continued thought…

For today, it seems I should spend some time in self-examination and confession. How about you?

Lord Jesus look into my life and where tentacles of my pre-Jesus life still exist please show me that I may bring them to the cross for burial and destruction. Where living in this world has soiled me, show me that I might confess and be cleansed…

In and through Jesus I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment