Friday, November 15: Deuteronomy 22- Finders Keepers???.

Today’s reading offered me a few meditative stopping places. I will only share my time in verses 1-3.

I grew up with the phrase “Finders Keepers, Loosers Weepers.” But having lost things I am so very grateful when people return them rather than keep them. Aren’t you?

I saw a new report recently about a homeless man in NYC who found a bag of cash and turned it into the police. I forget the amount but it was thousands. And then another about a woman who saw a large pouch of cash on the side of the road. It had hundred’s of thousands of dollars. She drove straight to the closest police station and turned it in. Turns out this pouch fell out of one of those armored trucks making a pick up!

Good deeds that violate the phrase of my youth but which honors God’s Word.  If you see your brother's ox or sheep straying, do not ignore it but be sure to take it back to him.  If the brother does not live near you or if you do not know who he is, take it home with you and keep it until he comes looking for it. Then give it back to him.  Do the same if you find your brother's donkey or his cloak or anything he loses. Do not ignore it.

Honoring God is better than striking it rich because someone lost something…

And so my thoughts went on these verses…

Lord, thank You for the gift of integrity. May I be a man of integrity with money and all manner of other aspects of life… to Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment