Tuesday, November 26: Deuteronomy 31- Knowing when to stop.

Verse 2 reads, I am now a hundred and twenty years old and I am no longer able to lead you. Two thoughts circulated as I pondered this verse.

First, Moses’ life was a life well lived. A perfect life, no,but well lived, yes. His life made a difference.

I wonder some times if my life makes a difference. Oh, I know I am no Moses but hopefully, in smaller ways, I am able to touch the lives of people for good and for God and to make a difference.

Second, I noticed that Moses knew when to stop. Moses recognized that he was no longer able to lead. Too many professionals hang on doing their profession past the time of significant skill diminishment. Athletes, in particular, often fit this stereotype. Maybe it is that their careers are short and they never gave much thought to life after sport. Maybe the sense of self and ego that enabled them to become great in their sport won’t let them believe they are done. Whatever it might be, often athletes linger to long.

Moses didn’t linger. He knew he couldn’t lead any longer and he stepped aside. That’s impressive in my book. Question is, will I be able to do the same when it is clear I no longer have the skill or calling for my job?

I don’t know. I don’t have the word ‘retire’ in my vocabulary. I don’t believe one retires from serving the Lord, but one can retire from professional life without giving up on serving the Lord.

I guess time will tell…

Lord, I pray that I finish well and that I will understand when I need to step aside to allow the next generation to step up and carry the load for You. And when that day comes, Lord, I pray I can leave with grace and serve you in other ways… all my life long.  I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment