Tuesday, November 5: Deuteronomy 13- Faithfulness to the Lord.

Moses has one thought in mind as he delivered this word, absolute faithfulness to the Lord. No turning toward other gods. He uses 3 illustrations to drive home his point.

A prophet who foretells accurately some miraculous sign but then tries to lead people to a god other than the Lord. Do not trust this prophet even though his miraculous sign happens! Do not stray from the Lord.

A loved one or close friend who invites you to follow any god other than the Lord. Do not trust them and do not stray from the Lord.

An entire town decides to follow some other god and they invite you to join them. Do not join then, do not stray from the Lord.

So how does one safeguard him/herself from straying after other gods? Each person must know the Lord; then you will know if someone is trying to steer you toward some other god.

For me, knowing God’s Word, the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, is paramount. Prophetic people, loved ones, even groups of people can be wrong. They can intentionally try to lure me away from God, but when I possess a good knowledge of The Word, I can ‘smell a rat’ when they begin luring me.

For me, knowing the Word well, spending time in the Word, and seeking to grow closer to the Lord regularly are the best safeguards from being lured away from the Lord.

How about you? How do you safeguard your walk with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, protecting yourself from the lure of false gods?

Lord, to You I pledge my life, my will, my all… Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment