Monday, November 4: Deuteronomy 12- On-going presence.

 

God promises a place of His presence throughout this chapter. In the new land, God will establish His place. There and there only were Israelites to offer tithes, sacrifices and make their sacred vows. There and only there!

Like the tabernacle among the traveling Israelites, this place would be God’s holy space among His people.

Before God would show the place for His presence, the Israelites were to destroy and remove all remnants of the gods of the nations they were expelling from the land (1-3).

I found it interesting that Israel was to ‘cleanse’ the land and as they did they were to seek the Lord regarding the place He would choose for His dwelling place. Israel was also told not to inquire about those foreign gods, not to dabble with or seek them, ever.

Their God, our God, is a jealous God. He sets the rules. And God does not tolerate competition for our loyalty.

I began to ask myself, “Do I allow the gods of my world, materialism, independence, money/security, self-reliance, etc., to gain a foothold in my thinking and in my living?”

God gave Israel His on-going presence.  In Christ we have God’s presence, too. But now in Christ, it is not a temple or physical place, it is God, the Holy Spirit, who lives in us, and is always with us. I can worship God at any moment, in any place, because God is with me…

Oh, Blessed Lord, I worship You right now. I praise Your greatness, God above all gods. I recall Your deeds of salvation, both the OT acts of deliverance and Jesus offering His life for me. I marvel at Your creations. Light is dawning and nature in all Your beauty is rising out of the darkness before my eyes.

Praise be to You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment