Saturday, November 16: Deuteronomy 23- the blessing of rules.

Rules are needed to govern life. Without them there is chaos and anarchy. As I read rule upon rule, most of which do not connect with my life and me, I kept saying to myself, these rules are needed to establish a people, community, country. God is blessing the people by giving them order.

I found myself imagining what it would be like to drive cars with no rules. What side of the road do you drive on? Who has the right of way at intersections? Can you park anywhere? Drive any speed? Our roads would be unmanageable without rules. God was blessing Israel by providing structure and order for life.

God’s eternal rules, in the same way, provide structure for life. The 10 Commandments, the rule of love (Love God and love others, see Jesus’ summary of the Law in the gospels, Matthew 22:37 for example), etc. are gifts for us from the Lord.

I found myself thanking God for the rules and laws of life that He has given…

Lord, with the Psalmist (19, 119, etc.) I praise Your for Your Law, Your word, Your rules for life. They provide order. They curb my wanton selfishness, which ultimately hurts me and others.

May I taste the sweetness of Your Word, may it be to me as honey from the honeycomb. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment