Saturday, November 9: Deuteronomy 17- Justice.

Justice is part of the backbone on any society. If wrongs are not addressed then there is anarchy and people run amuck. Holding people accountable to societal rules is a must.

In outlining Israelite justice two interesting points are made. Verses 6-7: On the testimony of two or three witnesses a man shall be put to death, but no one shall be put to death on the testimony of only one witness. The hands of the witnesses must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. You must purge the evil from among you.

Death penalty testimony requires two separate witnesses who are to be investigated thoroughly (4). Justice is anything but blind. Justice is informed and thoughtful. And the potential evil intent of humankind is curbed through the requirement of two witnesses.

Secondly, witnesses were active in the actual death penalty. Though certainly no guarantee of justice, having a hand in the death of the person you testified against certainly gives your testimony increased importance and personal impact.

I am reminded of the sin that lives in each and every one of us. Theologians call it ‘original sin’, the stain upon every human life that drives us to sin. It seems that God (and Moses) understood our human propensity for sin, which God seeks to curb through these justice requirements.

My life and your life are stained by sin.  What am I doing to keep a reign on sin in my life?

Lord, may my ears be attentive to Your voice, my heart be attentive to Your ways, that I might follow You holding sin at bay by Your grace… to Your glory and honor.

Lord, I need a savior, a guide to walk Your way, to avoid evil in any and all forms. Help me, guide me… lead me in the way of everlasting. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment