Thursday, November 14: Deuteronomy 21- Cursed for us.

All through the chapter I was thinking about the reasonableness of the laws for a nation just starting up. In a world where the capriciousness of the leader or king was the law, Israel was established upon the rule of law… laws based on truth, integrity and honesty. How refreshing that was on the landscape of the ancient world.

But where I spent most of my time in thought and prayer was the final two verses. If a man guilty of a capital offense is put to death and his body is hung on a tree, you must not leave his body on the tree overnight. Be sure to bury him that same day, because anyone who is hung on a tree is under God's curse. You must not desecrate the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance (22-23). The reflections of Jesus’ death are obvious in these verses.

The NT even refers to this verse (see Acts 10:39, Galatians 3:13). The cross equals a tree… Jesus was cursed that we might be freed from our ‘sin-guil’t. This is where I spent much of my thought… Jesus, the very Son of God, was under God’s curse for you and me. Bearing our sin, the , sinless Son, took our curse that we might be free. Such wondrous truth, such amazing mystery!

And His burial on the day of His death was a fulfillment of these words.

God’s plan of salvation, glimpsed here…

Thank You, Lord for showing me that Your plan was underway. Our salvation was in the making here in Deuteronomy.  Thank You for Your Word, Your Salvation Plan, Your Son Jesus… Alleluia, because of Jesus I am free, free to follow You intently and that doing Your will is my food, my life, my joy. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment