Wednesday, November 20: Deuteronomy 26- First fruits of caring.

I love the opening scene, the idea of filling a basket with first fruits and giving them to the Lord as a ‘thank you’. As I think about it, I realize that I don’t do enough positive thanking of God for the ways He cares and provides. I guess this is why the picture painted by those verses is so attractive to me.

The other part of the opening scene that speaks to me is the last line of the first paragraph. Verse 11: And you and the Levites and the aliens among you shall rejoice in all the good things the LORD your God has given to you and your household.

What happens with the basket of goodies from the soil that is given to the Lord? Is it burned on the altar? No. Does it sit by the altar and eventually rot? No. It is used to feed and care for people. The giver and the Levites and the alien enjoy the ‘thank you’ gift. The Levites don’t have an inheritance of land like all the other Israelites, so they get to share in the bounty God is giving to His people. And then there are the aliens, others who live in the land but don’t have an inheritance (i.e. land of their own), they, too, get to taste God’s gift of provision.

I love this picture… the person’s ‘thank you’ helps support others who don’t enjoy the bounty of the land for themselves.

What a great picture… a thank you to God that helps people with a need. This is way cool…

 Lord, I am sensing that You are inviting me to take from the bounty You have given me and pass a portion of it on to someone with a need. Ok, Lord, I will do this…

Hmmm, how and to whom… Lord, help me to know.

And, Lord, I offer to do this as a ‘thank You’ for all the many ways You care and watch over me. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment