Saturday, November 30: 1Timothy 1-.

Lately, I have been thinking about the rescuing heart of God, which desires to help the poor, alien, downtrodden, orphan widow, etc. But also God’s heart, which seeks to save the lost. A heart who sends a prophet like Jonah to a corrupt people so that they might repent. Our God who sends His Son to a lost and rebellious people so that people from every tribe and nation might be born again into God’s family. It’s been a pretty rich few days as I ponder and chew on this aspect of God.

Then today I read Paul who gives a rescued-person’s account of this God. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen (15-17).

Paul personally understands the rescuing heart of God. He, the ‘worst of sinners’ by his own account, was pursued and shown mercy so that he might believe. Paul’s personal story got me thinking about my story. I don’t know why but God pursued me, too. Looking back I can see a number of times God came knocking on the door of my life. Oh, for a moment I might sort of believe, but it would fade in minutes or hours. But God kept knocking until one day in a hotel room in Muhlenberg, PA, I finally surrendered to the Hound of Heaven.

Paul’s account reminds me my salvation has little to do with me seeking God, but everything about God seeking a lost person named Bill.

And like Paul, I find my only response is praise…

Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment