Monday, December 23: Mark 7- Traditions. can get in the way of living for God.

 

I loved reading the particular healings in this chapter. Jesus was so simply in His command of every situation. As much as these particular healings touched me as I read, it was the opening that drew me into contemplation.

Let me summarize what caught my attention. Verses 1-8:

The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law … saw some of his disciples eating food with hands that were "unclean," that is, unwashed. 3 (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders. …

So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, "Why don't your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with 'unclean' hands?" He replied, “… You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men."

So many thoughts…

1) It is not that washing hands, ceremonially or hygienically, for that matter is bad. Actually it is probably good. The problem was they were judging the hearts and faith of the disciples by some outward action rather than the heart.

2) How many traditions of men do I follow? And how easy it is to develop religious traditions. As I ponder my religious life there are many, many traditions….ordained and educated clergy, Even the concept of clergy, church music, Sunday School, electing church elders for 3-year terms, church liturgies…. I’m on a roll!  How about Christmas?  Oh, how many Christmas celebrations involve traditions?  There are trees, lights, wreathes, Advent, Christmas services… giving of presents. Wow, I have to stop.  It hurts.

Are human traditions bad? No, I don’t think that is what Jesus is saying.. What seems to be bugging Jesus is that the traditions got in the way of seeing the faithfulness of people who were seeking God. In verse 9 and following, Jesus accuses the Pharisees of blatantly using traditions to avoid some laws of God. Now that is really bad.

Before I got on the ‘bash-the-Pharisees’ train, I felt a stop in my spirit… “Bill, are there any traditions that you honor more than you honor Me?” the Spirit whispered. “Are there any human faith-traditions that you honor more than you honor sincere brothers or sisters who follow different traditions?”

I spent time pondering these and other questions. I sensed God spoke into my heart. I commend them to my readers as well.

Lord, the first step is to ponder my traditions. But then I have to determine if they are getting in the way of my faith or nourishing my faith. For this I need the voice of Your Spirit, providing me with Your wisdom and counsel. Left to myself, I likely won’t change very much because my traditions are comfortable. In my prayer I am seeking fidelity to You above all else, even my traditions. In Your name, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment