Thursday, December 12: Titus 1- Word + Deed.

How important are actions? VERY. In describing false teachers of Crete to Titus, Paul gives a telling observation. They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him (16).

Sparks flew as I pondered this.

Belief can be a slippery concept. What we believe… is it defined best by what we say, we believe or by how we act in accordance with our said beliefs? I wrestled with this thought. And I lean toward the latter.

It is easier to profess belief in a truth than it is to live it. It seems reasonable that what I truly believe I will do or at least strive to do. Oh, I may fall short from time to time, but my trajectory is to live what I believe.

As this thought tumbles, I look back to Paul’s words, They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. Their verbal claims do not match their actions.

As I type this last sentence, its point comes back to confront and challenge me. Are my faith-claims matched by my actions? God presses this into me as I watch the sun rise outside my window. Am I consistent?  Does my living shout “Bill loves Jesus”?

Lord, I pray so. I pray that my life is consistent, honorable and faith-filled. I pray my actions speak and confirm my professed faith in You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment