Monday, December 30: Mark 13- There will be an end.

 

There will be an end!

People, scholars, end-time devotees, battle over what particulars in this and similar passages means. Some people even attempt to give us a date for the end. Pushing these things aside, this chapter makes it quite clear…

There will be an end! Some day, people will see the Son of Man [Jesus] coming in clouds with great power and glory. And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens (26-27). Some day Jesus will return and Jesus will judge all people.

From the scriptures, this is as sure as sure can be. It WILL happen.

As I climbed into this thought, I realized that though I may not be alive when this happens, I will face a day when my earthly life is over, when the fever of this life is hushed and my life as I know it ends. So whether I think about the end in cosmic terms or personal terms, there will be an end for me. And at that time I will stand before Jesus and face my judgment.

I began to ask myself, what am I doing today to prepare for that day?

Spiritually speaking, I have put my faith in Jesus and the only way of salvation. Have you? Are you following, walking with and serving Jesus? However, that question is framed… have you confessed Jesus to be Lord of your life and is your life validating your confession? If not, what are you waiting for???

Relationally speaking, are your closest relationships in good shape? What could you be doing to repair broken relationships or strengthen healthy ones?

I continued this kind of introspection thinking through various facets of life, financial, material (stuff), etc…

It was a good morning and somehow seems like a fitting way to prepare for the turn of the year coming in two days.

Lord, thank you for this journey. All things considered I pray that my life, as I am living it and as I might alter it due to this morning with You, will honor and bless You. I pray, too, that my life might act as a road sign for some people, helping them find their way to faith in You before their end comes.

This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment