Saturday, December 8: 2Timothy 1- For God's purpose.

I naturally view life through the lens of self… myself. Somewhere in the mix of why I choose the friends I have is the way the friendship benefits me. After my salary is deposited it is spent in ways that benefit me (and my family). When I buy airline tickets I choose an aisle seat because that is what I like. Missions that I support generally touch my heart in some way.

I really don’t know how to live life selflessly. Self, it seems, is part of all aspects of my life. (BTW, I believe God understands this… I am thinking of the second half of the greatest commandment; love your neighbor as yourself, ‘as you love yourself.’ More thoughts on this some other day.)

Naturally when it comes to salvation, my initial thinking is somehow, someway, God saved me because of me. I am not proud to admit this, but these thoughts live in me.

So when I come to 2Timothy 1:9, it provides a much needed corrective to my self-focus. Check it out, So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. I bolded the words that corrected me.

God saved me, NOT because of me or because I am so good or have so much potential or any other ‘self’ reason. God saved me because of His purpose and His grace. That’s it. And the same could be said about any person who reads this meditation or this Scripture.

My salvation, as wonderful and blessed it is, is not about me. It is about God. God’s purpose, God’s grace, God’s glory and honor.

This truth and my meditations upon it are pressing me to praise. I am reminded of an old hymn we used to sing by Julia Johnston, which will be my prayer.

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,

Grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!

Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured,

There where the blood of the Lamb was spilled.

Grace, grace, God’s grace,

Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;

Grace, grace, God’s grace,

Grace that is greater than all our sin.

Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,

Freely bestowed on all who believe!

You that are longing to see His face,

Will you this moment His grace receive?

Grace, grace, God’s grace,

Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;

Grace, grace, God’s grace,

Grace that is greater than all our sin.

Lord, God, I thank You for Your grace, for Your mercy, for Your salvation. May I live my life in dedication to You, who saved me and longs for all to be saved and come to the saving knowledge of Your Gospel. Through Jesus, Lord and Savior, I pray. Amen

 

What a delightful way to prepare for public worship tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment