Tuesday, December 17: Mark 2- Wondering about Jesus.

What a chapter! I watched and listened to Jesus. I wondered what it would have been like to see Him in the flesh. There was something about Him that presents a commanding presence. People flocked to Him. So much so that people who couldn’t get a front row seat, ruined a family’s roof in order to get a paralyzed friend to Jesus. And what does Jesus do? He speaks forgiveness! Yes, the man is healed, but Jesus speaks forgiveness, something only God can grant!

Next up Jesus issues a simple call to Levi and Levi closes up shop and follows. What’s more, Levi throws a party for all his friends (Jewish outcasts, by the way). What kind of a person commands this kind of immediate response?

The scene shifts and Jesus is answering questions about fasting and particularly why His disciples aren’t fasting.

Another instant fade-through-black and we find Jesus walking on the Sabbath. His disciples, apparently hungry, grab some gain to munch on as they walk. Religious types pounce on Jesus for Sabbath-breaking. Jesus meets them head on with a story about famed King David and a veiled comment that Jesus is even Lord of the Sabbath.

The relentless pace of Mark’s Gospel is tremendous. But what gets me is Jesus…

·         never caught off guard

·         never stumped

·         seemingly in charge in every situation

·         constantly throwing curveballs to religious leaders, while at the same time attracting a following of everyday people, even irreligious people

·         comfortable debating religious pros and partying with regular folk.

Today I simply sat and watched and listened to Jesus and marveled at who He was and wondered what it would have been like to meet Him in the flesh.

Today I wondered at and marveled at Jesus…

Thank You, Lord, for this glimpse into Your life among us. I am more enthralled by You than before I sat to read and pray.

Lord, I pray that Your Spirit within me would allow me to be more comfortable, more at ease in all situations. However, not for my benefit, but that I might shine for You more brightly and effectively no matter who I am with or who is watching.

This I pray for Your glory and honor. Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment