Saturday, December 28: Mark 12- Giving out of poverty or wealth.

I found the closing story drew me in immediately. In particular it was Jesus’ Words about where our giving comes from. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything--all she had to live on" (43-44).

As I read this it seems to me that most everyone I know, myself included, gives out of our wealth. I can only speak for myself. I have a pantry and freezer of food that might carry me a month. Admittedly, by the end there would be slim pickins’ but I would have food to eat. I live in a house with electricity, high-speed internet and more TV channels than I can count. I have heat in the winter and AC in the summer, dishes, clothing, furniture in every room and even a family heirloom or two. My wife and I have 3 personal computers, smartphones and a tablet each. Oh, yeah, we have 3 cars, two good paid-off cars and one ‘beater’ for when our college son is home.

Most of the people I know live in similar standards. Oh, they may have more of this and less of that, but we are comfortable living in the US, which means by world standards we are a ‘1%-er’!

When it comes to giving, I give out of my wealth! Now there is nothing wrong with this. It is better than not giving not of our wealth. It simply means we are in a different place than some when it comes to our giving.

My first devotional movement was to ask myself, prompted by the Spirit I believe, “Is my giving at the level it should be given my assets and manner of life?” The question then rephrased in my head, “Could I be giving more?” (How about you?)

Next I pondered the idea of the poor woman giving out of her poverty. What would it be like to give to God when I didn’t know where my next meal was coming from? If I didn’t know if I would have heat at night? If winter was coming and I didn’t have a coat or warm socks or gloves?

I have never know these situations, so all I can do is imagine…

One thing my imagining did is tell me that giving out of poverty is VERY different than giving out of wealth.

Chew on that for a while…

Lord, I thank You for the resources I have. I sit here today, a few days after Christmas, awash in family and gift-giving and I wonder if I am being faithful to YOU with the resources I have been given by YOU.

Help me to put my finances under YOUR jurisdiction and control and to make my resources available to advance YOUR kingdom. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment