Tuesday, December 24: Mark 8- Wanting a sign.

I found myself considering verses 11-12. The Pharisees came and began to question Jesus. To test him, they asked him for a sign from heaven. He sighed deeply and said, "Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it."

Pharisees are not the only people who want a sign from Jesus.  Many people ask or expect a sign from Jesus. So I wondered why Jesus was so terse with them. As I thought about it, I noticed a phrase in the NIV, To test him, they asked him for a sign… Those first 3 words seem key. Theirs was not a heart looking for answers, wanting to be sure, no, they were out to get Jesus. The request for a sign was a test, a confrontation of Jesus.

Eugene Peterson translates this verse in a telling manner, When they arrived, the Pharisees came out and started in on him, badgering him to prove himself, pushing him up against the wall (The Message, v 8).

So Jesus’ disgust and terse reply was because they were trying to discredit Him, not know and understand Him.

This passage gave me pause, because it drives me to consider my responses to Jesus… am I sincere with Him? Am I humble before Him and trusting of Him?

Lord, I pray for faith… faith to believe and follow You, Lord, without the need for signs. And, Lord, should You choose to give a sign or provide a miracle,I pray that I will receive it gladly and that it will bolster my faith. Still, Lord, I pray for a faith that stands on its own… a faith that trusts You completely.

In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment