Saturday, December 21: Mark 6-I'm filled with mixed motives.

I actually read and re-read this chapter.  Nothing in particular jumped out at me as a point to ponder. Some days are like that, and this gives us a choice. We can close up our Bible and head into our day or we can linger. I chose to linger. I read each short section again, some sections yet again. What was the kernel for today, Lord?

I never did zero in on a single verse. Instead, with each reading, I marveled at Jesus. How selfless He was. How committed to doing the Father’s Will. From one stop to another He presented God in human flesh, caring, teaching, healing. There is lots of healing and miracles in this chapter. Jesus seems genuinely disappointed that He could only do a few healings in His hometown.

Crowds came to him. The 5,000 men He fed on that one day could easily represent 12,000 if we add in the women and children. The numbers and crowds never seem to bother Him. He continued to give and give of Himself. Even when He crossed the lake, in what I think might have been a chance to get a brief RnR break, Jesus finds Himself inundated by people and needs. Jesus never flinched.  He continued to give of Himself and heal what seems like multitudes.

Truly to do the Father’s Will was food for Jesus’ life.

Finally this led me to think about how my life, unlike Jesus’ life, is filled with mixed motives. One minute I seek to do God’s Will; the next I am chasing my own wants, desires and dreams. Then another moment comes and I am devoted to the Lord, followed by a time of serving self.

I am such a mixed bag of motives and actions. I am so thankful for mercy and grace!

Jesus, You were so absolutely consistent in Your Will to do the Father’s Will. I never cease to be awed by You. Thank You for giving Yourself wholly to Your mission. Lord, help me to turn up my devotion, even on notch, so that this time next year I can see changes in my life, changes that honor and love You, the Father and the Spirit more fully. In Your name, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment