Thursday, December 5: 1Timothy 5- Responsibility for parents.

Some Bible readings give incredibly practical instruction about every day life issues. Paul’s instructions about caring for extended family was one of those moments for me. Paul’s counsel is summed up for me in verse 4, But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God.

Being part of the sandwich generation, I know all too well the pressures of raising kids while at the same time caring for aging parents. And these issues are compounded through the mobility of our present age. Distance creates particular hurdles in caring for parents. And yet, the duty and responsibility to care for them is clear.

Lord, help me to honor well my mom and my wife’s parents. It is not only right in Your eyes, it is honoring and loving for them. Although repayment to them for all they have done for me and us, it is a measure of kindness they deserve.

Lord, I pray for people who do not have the affection for their parents that I do. I pray for resolution of interpersonal issues and especially for believers, that Your love will grow in them to overcome the pains of this world in order to live rightly.

Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment