Tuesday, December 3: 1Timothy 3- Conduct becoming of a Christ-follower.

I have always thought that the descriptions Paul gives for the life and character of elders and deacons in this chapter was simply so that the church would choose worthy elders and deacons. Certainly this is true, but as I read today I noticed that there is more to it than that.

Paul follows the descriptions of elders and deacons with these words, … I am writing you these instructions so that … you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth (14-15). The characteristics of worthy elders and deacons was to be an example for all the church. Everyone was to emulate and strive toward these characteristics. It is quite a list (see verse 2-10):

·         be above reproach,

·         the husband of but one wife,

·         temperate,

·         self-controlled,

·         respectable,

·         hospitable,

·         able to teach,

·         not given to drunkenness,

·         not violent but gentle,

·         not quarrelsome,

·         not a lover of money,

·         manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect.

·         have a good reputation with outsiders,

·         worthy of respect,

·         sincere,

·         not indulging in much wine,

·         not pursuing dishonest gain

·         not malicious talkers

·         trustworthy in everything.

I reviewed this list, asking myself how I was doing in these areas.

The light of God’s Word regularly reveals blemishes in my life…

Lord, I thank You for the progress and growth my life shows since the days I first began following You. And yet, I have a long way to go. I have not nearly arrived.

Please grant me grace and forbearance to keep striving and working  and inviting You into deeper places of my life. So that my life will more and more reflect Your likeness and Your glory, that You might receive all honor and glory, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment