Monday, July 7: 1Kings 3- Seeds of his downfall.

This is a wonderful chapter. Solomon’s request for wisdom is, for me, one of the exemplar moments in the OT. Invited to ask for anything, Solomon asks for wisdom. This was an incredible moment of perspective and insight, especially for a young man.

But in my reading this morning I noticed something I have glanced past when I have read this chapter previously. What I noticed is mentioned in verse 1. Solomon made an alliance with Pharaoh king of Egypt and married his daughter. He brought her to the City of David until he finished building his palace and the temple of the LORD, and the wall around Jerusalem.

Before asking for wisdom, Solomon had already planted a “weed” in his garden. Solomon made an alliance with Pharaoh king of Egypt and married his daughter.

Wasn’t Israel directed NOT to marry outside the covenant people? Wasn’t Israel supposed to trust in the Lord and not other earthly alliances?

Early on in his kingship Solomon planted a few seeds from the “dark side,” which I know from reading the Bible will draw him away from the Lord later in life.

As I ponder and pray about this, God is reminding me of 3 things. One, small sins harbored and nurtured can lead to bigger issues. Two, sin has its consequence. And three, after recognition and confession of sins in our lives, praying prayers of cleansing and shutting entrances for that sin in one’s life can be appropriate and effective in helping us move forward in truth and grace and freedom.

So consider your life… any amends need to be made with the Lord???

Lord, I do not want any open ‘doors’ for sin in my life. Reveal to me places that still need forgiveness and areas or aspects of my life where I remain particularly vulnerable to sin. Lord, my prayer is to be a man after Your own heart… Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment