Tuesday, July 15: 1Kings 10- Without self-examination.

 

Unimaginable wealth, that is what Solomon enjoyed. Knowing Solomon abandoned the Lord and His ways for much of his life, I found myself wondering if his wealth played a role in turning from the Lord?

The text here is silent on this. But elsewhere Jesus did say, “You cannot serve both God and Money” (Mt 6:24).  He also commented that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for rich to enter the kingdom of God (Mt 19:24).

Clearly riches can be an impediment to faith.

I found myself wondering… wondering about my life because I am rich. By my country’s standard I am middle (upper middle) class but on a world scale I am top 1%. Most of us in the US are. Everyday we enjoy clean water, reliable electricity –as much as we want, more than enough food, clothing, shelter, access to medical care. Need I go on? These basics are things many in our world only dream about having.

Back to my musings, does my wealth stunt my faith? Does it allow me to rely on myself rather than the Lord, which could be a first step to turning from the Lord.

At this point in my life I would say, no it doesn’t seem to be… but I don’t ever want to stop asking myself this and like questions. Because without self-examination, I could slip and fall just as easily as Solomon.

Lord, keep me steady, keep me strong. Keep me growing in You, because constant growth is the best defense against backsliding and turning from You. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment