Wednesday, July 2: Jude- Help those who doubt.

Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh (22-23).

When I open The Word, I am blessed when the text offers a practical word on living faithfully. Today is one of those days.

Despite the problem with false teachers, Jude advises us to Be merciful to those who doubt. Particularly when troubles circle, it is easy to write off those who doubt. But Jude counsels, DON’T DO THAT, Be merciful to those who doubt.

Doubting is a part of faith. Many of us –at one time or another– doubt; in those moments we need a brother or sister to come alongside and encourage us. Jude says be that person.

As I penned this, my mind shifted to people I know, particularly people I know who are doubting… my thoughts went like this:

Lord, what can I do to help my brothers and sisters who are in a tough place right now? Give me patience to listen without critical judgment. Give me wisdom to know what to say that encourages and builds up when speaking is appropriate. And Lord, give me a heart to pray for them, long after the conversation has faded into a memory.

In Jesus’ nam, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment