Saturday, July 5: 1Kings 2- a word from father to son.

Chapter 2 is the account of Solomon securing the kingdom under his reign. It is filled with retribution and blood. In the end Solomon is uncontested as king and all internal threats to his reign have been eliminated.

The chapter opens with David’s final words to his son before his death and these provided my connection with the Lord this morning.

“I am about to go the way of all the earth,” [David] said. “So be strong, act like a man, and observe what the LORD your God requires: Walk in obedience to him, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and regulations, as written in the Law of Moses. Do this so that you may prosper in all you do … (2-3).

What incredibly wise and straightforward counsel to his son. I am not planning on ‘going the way of all the earth’ soon, but I hope and pray that I live a life worth of the Lord and so earn the right to speak words like this to my children before going on to be with the Lord for eternity.

I thought about David’s words and put them into my own words, which might go something like this: “Be a man. Follow the Lord. Obey Him and keep His ways and your life will prosper.”

Great words from father to son…

Lord, as I wrap up in prayer this morning, my first petition is that I live a life worthy of speaking these words with integrity. I pray, too, for my children that they will be living in a spiritual place so that they will accept this counsel. And finally I pray, Lord, for a healthy relationship with my children all of my life so that I have the opportunity to speak final words of blessing upon my children before You take me home.

Though Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment