Saturday, July 26: 1Kings 20-.

Obedience… that word screamed at me as I read. God expects obedience. Ahab actually was doing fairly well until the end of the story when he let Ben-Hadad go free. (see 37-42, especially 42).

Obedience can be a ‘when I want to do it’ kind of a thing. Winning a war, obedience felt good. But Ahab decided that making an alliance with the defeated king was better than obeying the Lord and killing him.

The whisper in my spirit went like this, “I expect obedience, total obedience.”

Even as I typed those last words I realize how often I fall short of this. God says do this, I hesitate. God’s Word says this, I balk. I fall short of perfect obedience all the time.

Then I recalled reading the life of David recently. David wasn’t perfect. He sinned, but when he did he turned back to the Lord in repentance and sought forgiveness. Consequences came, but so did forgiveness.  Thanks be to God!

And the same is true to this day. 1John1:9 is a promise I love. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Thank You, Lord, Jesus, for accepting me back time and time again when I sin. Thank You, Holy Spirit, for convicting me of my sin so that I can turn back, repent and receive forgiveness. Thank You, Father, in heaven for the willingness and desire to have me return and for sending Jesus so that His blood can cover my sins. Thank You, my Lord, God. I bless and praise You. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment