Thursday, July 31: 2Kings 2- Elijah passes the mantle on to Elisha.

To be a spiritual son… that was Elisha’s request.

In verse 9 Elisha asks of Elijah, “Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Too many times I have heard preachers say that Elisha had twice the spiritual power/authority of Elijah. Unfortunately, that comes from not understanding the text. Elisha wasn’t asking for twice the spirit… he was asking to be Elijah’s ‘first-born’ son and therefore heir to the prophetic position. A double portion inheritance was given to the first-born.

God grants Elisha’s request and the parting of the Jordan was evidence that the Lord had granted his request!

Elisha accepted great responsibility when he requested and was granted this request. Spiritual authority is a calling that must not be taken lightly…

Fathers, mothers, pastors, elders, deacons, bishops all are granted spiritual authority. If that is you, take the role seriously.

I find myself pondering my authority roles…

Oh, God, may I represent You well. May I use my authority for good. May my words point people to You. May my actions exemplify a life lived for You. Lord, may I never use my spiritual authority for personal gain, but only to further Your kingdom. I pray in my Lord Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment