Friday, January 2: John 11- Am I willing to die for Jesus?.

The plot of John’s Gospel is quickening. Jesus’ confrontations with authorities is growing and Jewish authorities are moving toward killing Jesus.

As this morning’s accounts unfolded, two very different thoughts latched on to my heart. The first came in verse 4: When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.”

The words it is for God’s glory caught me. Do I live for God’s glory? Do I look at things that might happen to me –good things or bad things- as opportunities to give God glory or to increase the visibility of God’s glory in the world? Should I be living more overtly for God’s glory?

All manner of thoughts along this vein kept bursting into my head. To live for God’s glory rather than my pleasure, wants, and desires… this is a quantum shift in attitude and thinking…

 

After this pondering I returned to the second thought prompter, verse 16: Then Thomas (also known as Didymus) said to the rest of the disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.” Hear Thomas’ comment again, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.”

It is clear that the disciples understood that things were heating up and that being with Jesus could cost them their lives. And they were willing to face their death due to belief in Jesus.

The question stormed the castle of my life. Am I willing to die for Jesus?!?

Lord, today’s chapter causes me to ponder two very real shifts in my life… to live for Your glory and be willing to die for You. I can give trite answers, but these call me to truly look deep within… no games, no maybes and to see myself for all my sins and failures.

Lead me, God, and give me courage to answer these truly difficult questions with faith-filled answers. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment