Thursday, January 1: John 10- I am the Gate and the Good Shepherd.

In verses 7 & 9 Jesus refers to Himself as the gate, “I am the gate….” Then in 11 &14 He is the Good Shepherd who knows His sheep and lays down His life for His sheep. These are powerfully telling statements offering me a rich time this morning.

As ‘the gate’, Jesus is the means through whom His sheep are saved, guarded and protected. Jesus as the gate gives life, all others give death.

As the ‘Good Shepherd’ Jesus knows, protects, watches over, cares for and ultimately even lays down His life so that His sheep are safe.

I sat today as dawn began to break and let these images seep deeply into my soul and heart…

Jesus shows and is the way to life…

Jesus calls to and leads people to life…

Jesus protects people in this life… and

Jesus will even lay down His life to ensure that His sheep have this life.

What an incredible promise wrapped up in the language of “I AM” statements which harken back to Moses in the wilderness where God revealed Himself as the “I AM.” Not only are these great statements by Jesus, the man/rabbi/teacher, they are also statements by Jesus, Lord God Almighty, the great “I AM.”

And, so I basked in Jesus today… what a wonderful day.

Lord Jesus, My heart cries out… Blessed be the Lord, Who saves, Who protects, Who gave His life so that His sheep could live!!!! Alleluia. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment