Monday, January 5: John 13- Greater works.

I paused at a number of places, but Jesus’ washing of the feet of the disciples kept calling me back. His hour is almost upon Him, He is about to eat His final meal with His disciples as He transforms the Passover meal into the Lord’s Supper. And ye,t before the celebration of this sacred Jewish meal, Jesus, the teacher, the rabbi, the ‘father’ of the group, stoops and dirties His hands in the soiled water of foot washing. Jesus does the lowliest slaves’ job…

Utter humility and service…

Distain for the privilege of class or titled privilege…

Willingness to stoop and serve…

Jesus speaks volumes by washing the feet of His disciples, His Passover guests.

Not only is Jesus modeling, He is also teaching. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them (14, 17).

Blessed if you do them… says Jesus. I hear an emphasis on DO THEM.

Typing the words ‘do them’ sparked a thought. Many people I know, myself included, like to quote Jesus John 14:12 (the next chapter!) Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. This verse is used to say we should be doing the great works of miracles, etc. today that Jesus did. While I believe that is true, I wondered this morning, why I don’t include in the greater works of Jesus for me to do, things like service and foot-washing? Wasn’t Jesus’ ‘foot washing’ a ‘work’ of His?

I’m struck by the fact that I desire to do the big, grandiose, remarkable works of Jesus but not the messy, serving works that He did. Could it be that I long for recognition rather than service?

I feel exposed by the text and the whispers of the Spirit deep within… I believe this is a good thing.

Lord, Jesus, I am humbled by Your willingness to serve and wash feet. Amen 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment