Saturday, January 31: Romans 12- Sober Judgment.

Paul writes, For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you (3).

I found myself mulling over the idea of ‘sober judgment.’ Evaluating myself and my life honestly and fairly.

It comes very naturally for me to fall into the trap Paul mentions of thinking highly of myself. I think I am a pretty good guy, and my measuring standards are tilted in my favor. Paul’s caution is to be honest with oneself about oneself.

I try to do this in my mornings with the Lord… at least this is one goal for my time with Jesus. For me, reading God’s Word, the Bible, and treating it as the standard against which I measure life and more personally my life, is key. Without the Word as the gold standard, the rules of life I measure myself against are completely subjective and that’s when I am most prone to tilt them in my favor…

How about you? Think about it.

Lord, as I sit on the eve of the Lord’s Day, I pray that You help me press Your Word into my life that it might form me and mold me into the shape You have designed.

Thank You for Your Word filled with truth and understanding of life as You designed it. I give my life to You… In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment