Thursday, January 29: Romans 10- Zeal + Knowledge = Jesus.

As I read I remembered the NIV translation of Proverbs 19:2: It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way. It seems that is what Israel has done by seeking a righteousness of their own rather than by faith.

Verse 1-4: Brothers and sisters, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

It is sad and a bit frightening that a person can be zealous for ‘God’ but miss the way of Christ, which is the only way we can be found righteous before the Lord God Almighty. I think of Jews and Muslims, many of whom are zealous for God, but their path is leading to destruction. I think of church attenders who think it is about attending church or doing certain pious actions but who miss living faith with Jesus. I think of people who believe all roads lead to ‘salvation’ whatever that might mean to them.

The way of righteousness God has established is through Christ, whose yoke is easy and whose burden is light (Matthew 11:30). God’s way of righteousness is by grace through faith, it is gift not by works so that no one can boast (Ephesians 2:8)

I hope you have both zeal for God and knowledge of God’s way of righteousness.

Lord Jesus, today I pray for everyone who might read these words. I pray that they come to faith in You, the living and true way of righteousness. May it be so, Lord Jesus. May it be so. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment