Tuesday, January 20: Romans 2- Repentance is the doorknob to .

      The sad story of our human predicament continues to unfold in chapter 2. We all are in deep trouble.

As I read the opening verses, an image formed in my thoughts… the image of a doorknob. A person has to turn the knob to open a door, right. As I listened to verse 4-5 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed- I pictured ‘repentance’ being the doorknob on door into connection with God.

Paul says God’s kindnesses is meant to lead us to repentance and unrepentance in our heart is storing up for us God’s wrath.  Thus, repentance is the doorknob and we know from John 10 that Jesus is the door (or gate).

My mind played with these images.  Jesus is the door and repentance is the knob we turn to enter in through Jesus into a relationship with the God!

I invite you to think about this… not simply as an image but to personalize it. Have you turned the knob of repentance (have you repented of your selfish way and asked God to forgive and redeem you) and entered God’s salvation through repentance and faith in Jesus?

Lord Jesus, I am yours. I was lost and dead and without excuse. Then You opened my eyes to see Your way of repentance. Help me to live as You want me to live and to speak Your Words so that others may life, too. In Your name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment