Wednesday, January 14: John 21- Do you love me?.

Three times Jesus asked Peter, “Do you love me?” (15-17). Three times Peter said, “Yes.” And each time Jesus followed with an instruction to do something.

Most times when I read this encounter I focus on Peter but today it was as if Jesus aimed the questions at me…

“Bill, do you love me?”

There was no ducking and no hiding. In my time with Jesus today He was asking me if I loved Him. My spirit answered, “yes” each time. The bigger surprise came in Jesus’ follow up. ‘Do My will. Love My people. Testify to Me’.

Like Peter, our love for Jesus is the opening of a door to doing His will. His general will for all His people is clearly printed in the Bible.  Beyond that Jesus has specific things each of us are to do for Him. Among the specifics for me are to pastor His church and to teach a few weeks in Africa and to love my family. I know this deeply. They are not options or good things I can do, they are ‘calls’ from God.

As you read this passage and listen to Jesus ask you, “Do you love me?” Listen also for His directive. What is Jesus asking you to do?!

If you are not sure what Jesus wants YOU to do, start with His general call to all the church (read Mt 25, 28, Acts 1:8, Romans 12, Ephesians 5 and so on). My experience has been that as I set out to do what God’s Word calls all His followers to do, I hear God’s specific call to me.

Happy loving Jesus… it is quite an adventure!

Lord Jesus, Spirit and Father, I love and I place my life at Your disposal. I will follow Your Word and as I do, I ask You to lead me to do those specific things You have for me to do. Lord, I want to stay available to You all of my life… I do love You, Lord!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment