Friday, February 20: 1Peter 5- Stand firm.

Two words came to mind as I read and reviewed this chapter… Stand Firm.  Everyone has a role….elders to shepherd, watch over and be an example to the flock…flock to submit and follow…and everyone is to show humility toward one another.

From our humble posture we can cast any care we have on the Lord because He cares for us.

And together we are to be on the lookout for the lurking devil who seeks to ravage the flock. But we can resist him by standing firm in the faith and realizing that although tough times will come the Lord is with us.

Standing firm then, has to do with belief, attitude and action, something I can watch in my life every day.

Another aspect of this chapter that hit me as I pondered and wrote was the corporate nature of it. I am not to be humble in a vacuum, but especially toward the others in the body. I do not resist the devil alone, but alongside the company of the body. I do not keep sober watch alone but again, alongside the company of the body.

The body of believers is a gift for my security, my activity, my care and my growth…

Do I treasure and treat the church, my brothers and sisters, as I should?

O, Lord, renew my love for Your body, the church and for the local expression of Your world-wide church I call my church. Show me how to love and submit to them, how to be watchful and to resist with them, and how and where to use my gifts and callings to serve them. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment