Saturday, February 28: Psalm 31- .

After reading the entire Psalm I sat reflecting on it. Particular phrases began to make connections. Once again David sings of his wondrous God who is with him in times of strife, hardship, pain and attack.

Even as I wondered which phrase God might have me dive deeper into, I reviewed the Psalm again. This time the opening 3 words provided a key to unlock what my heart was experiencing as I read this Psalm.

In you, LORD, …

It is one thing to cry out to the Lord, which is appropriate and good. But David begins In you, LORD. The ‘you’ makes David’s opening cry much more personal. The picture that forms in my mind is David sitting and speaking to the Lord face-to-face. The Lord is not some distant God whom he serves. The Lord whom he serves is present to him, real to him, and connected to him.

And from his connection to the Lord, David proclaims his fidelity and love for the Lord (5, 14-15). From his connection with the Lord, David can cry in pain about his present circumstances (7-13). Because of the Lord’s presence to David, he sings his way back to ultimate trust in the Lord and invites all people to know the love of the Lord that he experiences regularly…

Love the LORD, all you his saints. The LORD preserves the faithful, but abundantly repays the one who acts haughtily. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the LORD (23-24).

What an invitation! My soul cries…

Lord, I accept David’s invitation… I love You, Lord. And I lift my heart to worship You of my soul rejoice. Take joy, my Lord, in what You hear. Ay, my words and heart be pleasing in Your sight, my Lord and my God. Halleluiah. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment