Friday, February 6: Psalm 21- The blessing of presence.

In this Psalm of blessing for the king, I was touched by verse 6: Surely you have granted him unending blessings and made him glad with the joy of your presence.

What captured me was the second half of the verse, made him glad with the joy of your presence. This is not a blessing that would have come to top of my mind… I am so earthly focused.

David projects deeper understanding of life with this thought. David understood that one of life’s great blessings is knowing the joy of the Lord’s presence in our lives. This realization convicts me. I truly am so earthly, this-world focused, that I think of things like health, stuff, good family life and influence. And even when I think of these in a benevolent way… money to give away or influence to make changes in our world for the good for all people… I still never considered the simple blessing of the joy of God’s presence in my every day life, the wonder of knowing God in a deep and appreciative way. That thought never hit me.

I am wondering why this concept never occurred to me.

·         Am I a “Martha”, so busy doing things for and even at times with God that I miss the simple pleasure Mary found at Jesus’ feet?

·         Am I so much of a ‘doer’ that I don’t understand the joy and blessing of an intimate relationship with others, even less intimate relationship with the Lord?

·         Am I too influenced by my world?

And so my musings went today…

How about you, how did this Psalm hit you?

Lord, help me grow to understand the joy of knowing You… the joy of Your presence in my life every day that I get to sojourn with You this side of eternity. Show me, Lord, here and now the wonder of what I will learn when I am with You throughout eternity. I pray this, Lord God, in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment