Monday, February 2: Romans 13- Love.

 

The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law (9-10).

‘Love Your Neighbor as Yourself’, the Golden Rule, is the summation of all the commandments. It is the fulfillment of the OT Law.

If you are ever wondering what is right in a given situation, ask yourself what LOVE would do? What would you do to care for yourself in that situation and then do that for your neighbor/the other person. As Paul says to help clarify love, Love does no harm to a neighbor.

It sounds so simple, but loving others as we love ourselves is hard going, at least for me. It is easy to watch out for my own interests, but applying that to others is not. And I don’t think it is just me (!), which is probably why this truth is repeated over and over again in the scriptures…

Father in Heaven, help me to be more loving toward the other people in my lives. Help me, Lord Jesus, to look past myself to the needs of others. Help me, Holy Spirit, to be more like Jesus, my Lord. I pray in His name. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment