Saturday, February 7: Psalm 22- Choosing trust rather than despair.

I cannot read this Psalm of David without seeing the cross in the background. Jesus prayed this Psalm from the cross.

It carries the tone of utter despair regarding the harsh situation of the one praying… feeling forsaken by God, mocked by those nearby, broken and bruised. It is a cry of desperation, of pain and agony, of brokenness…

And yet, the Lord is still out there. He is worthy of the Psalmist’s cry. God is always out there and always worth our cry for help.

For David, for Jesus, and yes, for me… God gets the last word. The Lord God is our strength. The Lord God is to be praised and will be praised. All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him, for dominion belongs to the LORD and he rules over the nations (27-28).

The world may be crashing around them but the Lord God is not out done.  He has not lost control. God alone will win and I will stand with Him cries David and Jesus from the cross.

My life right now does not feel the sting this Psalm presents, but if/when the stings come, I will pray with David and Jesus; But you, LORD, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me (19).

Lord, You are my strength and my song. In this life or the next, You will be my victory. I praise You, my Lord and my God. Through the name of Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment