Thursday, February 5: Romans 16- It takes a team.

I love reading all of the people named in this chapter and I love the way Paul has a word for each one of them. I sometimes think of Paul as ‘The Great Lone-Ranger Apostle’, going around by himself converting people all over the world, founding churches, and the like. But my’Lone-Ranger’ image isn’t really supported by the text here or anywhere in the NT.

I re-read the opening 16 verses, paying attention to all the appellations to the names… deacon, co-workers, converts, worked hard for you, friend, worked hard in the Lord, a mother to me, and so on. For the church to flourish it takes a team, many people playing her or his part so that all the work is done. Plus. these appellations indicate that there were significant relational connections between people, too.

The team isn’t just so work gets done; the team is so people are relationally supported doing the work of the Lord and living their lives in the Lord. Notice again the relational connection of the appellations… mother to me, my co-work, and dear friend. Paul, the great missionary/apostle, was a team player and he understood the power and need for team, emotionally, relationally and functionally.

This got me thinking… am I a ‘Lone-Ranger’ believer or am I part of a team, a family, a church, a community… a body of Believers, living with and living for Jesus in the world?

How about you? Think about it…

Lord, as I turn from the Word to prayer, I ask you to give me a deep appreciation for the team You have placed around me.  Even more, Lord, help me to press into those You have given to me to do life in Jesus, to grow with them and to serve with them. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment