Friday, April 24: Acts 5- God knows.

In the dramatic account of Ananias and Sapphira, I heard God’s reminder that God knows, God hears. The story is a frightening one and clearly from Luke’s pen, the people of the church ‘were seized with great fear’ too.

Ananias and Sapphira conspire to lie. No one else knows, or so they think. But as they execute their plan for recognition and honor, their lie is exposed publically and they drop dead.

My heart wrestles with many questions, why would God do this and so on. I leave them on the table for now as I consider more personal issues…

God hears their conversations. God understand their intentions. I am stopped in my tracks. God knows! Oh, I affirm that truth theologically in my head. God is omniscient, God knows everything. But seeing that God knows and can judge immediately if He chooses, takes a distant theological statement and makes it real and impactful.

When I consider doing ‘sin-filled’ things…when I lie, cheat or steal, God knows.  He really and honestly knows and He could choose to exact my punishment right there on the spot.

When I think about these things… my heart is seized with fear. A healthy fear that reminds me God is so much bigger and so far beyond me that I fall before God is praise and adoration.

I also realize how much grace God shows me on a regular basis. I, any of us, could be the next Ananias or Sapphira…

Lord God, questions still rumble.  Why did You treat them like this and not others… not me?  But even my questions cause me to realize that You are so much greater and Your ways so far beyond me that I fall at Your feet in worship and praise and pray…

I cry with Isaiah, ‘Your ways are higher than my ways’….

Blessed be Your name, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment