Monday, April 13: Luke 19- My duty is to serve.

Reading this chapter I noticed a detail in the parable of the ten minas (verses 11-26) I don’t recall noticing previously. In this story the man going away is hated by some of his subjects and they even try to undermine his becoming king. (Matthew’s better known version of this parable doesn’t include this feature).

We know the servants who receive the minas are not part of the coup, but this detail underscores how hard a master this man was. Any likelihood of using the money wisely out of love or even like for the master is non-existent in Luke’s account of the parable. These servants are simply expected to do what servants do… serve.

I love images and concepts of God as loving and kind, the type of person people would die for because they are deeply loved. And there are plenty of these images in the scriptures. But this parable reminds me that I owe my service to God not because I feel like it or because God is good to me. No, I owe my service to God because I am a servant and servants serve. Serving is what I am supposed to do!

Today’s reading reminds me that God is God.  He calls the shots. I am only a lowly servant and my duty is to serve... to know His desires, commands, bidding and do it.

Lord, today my meditations are tough… my thoughts remind me that You are absolute Lord and Your Word is final.  I serve and follow You, period. I don’t get to negotiate what directives I want to follow and the ones I can let slide.  Lord, thank You for this reminder to utter obedience and service. I pray this in the name of Jesus, Your son and my Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment