Friday, April 3: Luke 11- Is God's light filling my life.

I was intrigued by verse 34. Luke connected some saying of Jesus on the theme of light and this is the middle one of three. Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are healthy, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are unhealthy, your body also is full of darkness.

It doesn’t seem that Jesus is speaking about the physical health of our eyes, as much as what we are focusing our gaze upon. What are we looking at? What are we taking into our mind and soul? What is the focus of our lives? Because where we focus that is where we will place our energies.

Questions erupted in my thoughts… what do I dwell upon? What do I look at and dream about? What kind of commercials catch my attention? Where do I put my energies?

From here the spiritual dimension of the above questions began to develop like an old Polaroid picture. Are my dreams and hopes all about me? Am I my focus? Where is the Lord in ‘my picture’? Is God on the periphery or nearer the center? Is the Lord totally out of the picture of my life? Obviously, these are gradations of the same question. Is God’s light filling my life or is what I take in all darkness… the absence of light because God is absent from my thoughts, dreams and hopes?

Now there is the crux of the matter.

I repeat it for my sake and yours. Is God’s light filling my life or is what I take in all darkness… the absence of light because God is absent from my thoughts, dreams and hopes?

I need to meditate on this more.  Will you join me in pondering this today?

Lord, how much of my life is centered on You? Such is the essence of my devotion today. Help me to be honest with me. And help me to learn to love You more and more as I live life and grow in age. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment