Saturday, April 25: Acts 6- Keep the movement going.

Luke regularly inserts a comment about the growth of the church. In chapter 6 he writes, So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith (7).

I found myself drawn to this verse and the detail that a large number of priests became obedient to the faith. Why add this notation about priests, I wondered.

Priests were ‘set apart’ people. They ministered in the temple; they lived by extra devout rules. One could say they were guardians of the Hebrew faith. Priests were religious insiders and by noting that priests, a large number of priests, were coming to faith in Jesus gave Christ-followers a level of legitimacy.

Those who study mission explain that for Christianity to truly take root in a new people, group or culture, some insiders and respected people from that culture, especially leaders, need to become believers. And when these insiders/respected people come to faith, the door opens wide for others to come to faith.

This seems to be the case here. When priests come to faith, it shouts, ‘This new faith is okay’. And this is a huge event in the spread of the church.

Also, this small detail helps confirm that people of every station of life were becoming obedient to the faith….rich, poor; men, women; priests, lay; old, young… the message of Jesus was for everyone! And it still is today.

God whispered… “Keep the movement going. Tell God’s story to anyone and everyone. Invite people to faith in Jesus and rejoice when they become obedient to me.”

What an encouragement that we still have much work to do in letting the world know that Jesus is the way of salvation.

Lord,  I pray for myself that I would become better at sharing Jesus with others, people I know and people around the world to whom You send me. I pray for my church, that we would grow better at sharing Jesus with our community and world. I pray, Lord, for the entire Church, Your Church around the world, that we all would get on board with Your mandate and set our hearts on reaching the world and every people of the world with Your message… the way of salvation through Jesus Christ, the Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment