Saturday, April 4: Luke 12- The power of eternity.

This chapter covers a number of the topics Matthew includes in the famous Sermon on the Mount. After reading through the chapter I found myself returning to verses 4 and 5. I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after your body has been killed, has authority to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. I have always gotten the teaching that we are not to fear humans who can kill the body but cannot do anything spiritual beyond that. However for years I misunderstood whom we should fear. I thought Jesus was teaching that we should fear the devil… I think the comment about hell confused me.

Only in more recent years have I realized that like humans, all the devil can do is kill the body. He has no authority to send people to hell or anywhere once they die. That judgment belongs solely to God. God has the power of life and death. God determines a person’s eternity. We are to fear God, Who alone has the power to throw someone in to hell.

This is an incredibly strong statement about fearing God…

I often, we often, fear the wrong beings. We fear man and the ridicule and even death that men can inflict. And we allow this fear to stop us from following the Lord.

Similarly we fear Satan; he, too, can make life miserable. But the one we should fear and reverence is the Lord God because He alone has the power of eternity.

Think about this as you prepare to celebrate Easter tomorrow…

Lord, I bow to You… my Lord and my God. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment