Monday, April 27: Acts 7- The price of belief.

Tens of millions of men and women have served in the US military. Presently our standing military force is about 1.4 million strong. In all the wars from the Revolution through the present, about 1.2 million1 have died as a result of war. Many serve; much fewer give the ultimate sacrifice.

The same can be said for the Christian faith. All told there have been about 70 million Christians martyred for their faith since Stephen became the first martyr2. Again, many serve Christ, much fewer give the ultimate sacrifice.

And yet when we say ‘yes’ to Jesus, just like when we enter the military, we face the possibility that we will be asked to give our lives for Jesus.

Stephen was the first and he set the standard high. He bore witness to Jesus until his dying breath. He prayed for his captors, tormentors and persecutors. He held on to his faith tightly, despite the impending cost.

I have no fear of martyrdom, but yet, I pray that should God ask the ultimate sacrifice of me, that I could follow in Stephen’s footsteps of faith… bearing witness to and praying for my persecutors while holding on to Jesus faithfully and tenaciously.

These are not pleasant thoughts but people I know in West Africa face the likelihood of martyrdom far more than I. And their faith in Jesus sustains them daily and gives them courage to forgive and continue to witness to those who are hostile to them…

Lord, I am challenged by the deep faith of Stephen.  I am challenged by sisters and brothers around the world who face trial, persecution and martyrdom for You, Jesus. Help me to be strong for You and to give whatever You ask of me, that Your glory may be extended to every corner of this world. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

1  http://www.va.gov/opa/publications/factsheets/fs_americas_wars.pdf

2  http://www.gordonconwell.edu/resources/documents/TheDemographicsofChristianMartyrdom.pdf

 

No comments:

Post a Comment