Saturday, October 31: 1Timothy 6- That God may not be slandered.

How important is it to preserve God’s good name? How important is it for me (and you) to preserve God’s good name? These questions hit surprisingly hard as I opened and began reading today’s chapter. Verse one was the culprit who sparked these thoughts.

All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered.

There is no qualifier in the injunction to slaves in this verse. Good master or despicable master?  It makes no difference. Slaves who follow Jesus were to consider their masters worthy of full respect. I thought about how hard that can be. It is many times for me to consider poor bosses or poor politicians worthy of full respect. A slave might be treated cruelly by a bad master. They may have to endure ridicule or pain as they respect their masters…

God opened me from the inside, this morning. How well do I respect those in authority over me whom I believe to be poor at their job or incompetent or dishonest???

I go back to the point of the verse.  It is not simple according them respect, it is doing so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. The causes me to bring other actions into the equation of faithfulness because honoring God’s name and teachings may require me to respectfully raise issues of dishonesty...

As I ponder this singular verse, God is reminding me that living for Jesus touches every facet of my life… and yours.

This verse requires more pondering… and that’s the beauty of starting with God’s Word in the morning, I have time to chew on it more throughout the day.

Lord, I do want my life to honor Your name and Your teachings. Show me, Lord, where I fall short that I might grow and improve and mature… to your honor and glory, I live and pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment