Thursday, October 29: 1Timothy 4- Conscience or religious law.

There are some issues of faith that are essential… the scriptures give no latitude to re-interpret and change. These issues and behaviors run solidly from Old to New Testaments and/or are restated and restated. Love God and love others, is one example. Jesus Christ came in the flesh and is God’s way of salvation, is another.

Other issues have a mixed witness in Scripture. What one eats or celebration days are examples. There are many others.

I pondered this as I read the opening paragraph.

The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer (1-5).

What I noticed particularly in this paragraph was the word ‘forbid’ which I underlined and bolded. This matter of conscience in Scripture was determined and made into a “law” by false teachers. Thus these false teachers made a law where God gave freedom. In so doing they become the lawgiver superseding God Himself.

I pondered this… how often do I take something that is a matter of conscience for me and make it a law for others? I may not have the power to enforce it among others, but I can still judge other people by this ‘law’ I have decided!

I realize this text isn’t about judging others, but God led me to that place as I sat with Him this morning.

It is easy for me to look down on these false teachers, but when I judge others by standards that God has left to conscience… I am living a slice of the error these false teachers manifested.

Ouch, this hit a soft spot; I can be prone to judge in the recesses of my thoughts and God is bringing that into the light for me to examine, grapple with and confess…

Blessings, and may the Lord speak to you through His Word, too.

Lord, my heart needs mending and healing. I have sin hidden and lurching in every part of my life. Expose it, Lord, and give me the strength, the will power and the grace to deal with it before You. Lord, let me be no harder on myself than You would be. Allow me to show myself grace and mercy when needed but also to be hones with myself about sin.

Help me, Lord, to lay down self-justification and take up Your cross. And, Lord, I pray all this that I might be a successful ambassador for You –Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment