Tuesday, October 6: Revelation 12- A mighty fortress is our God.

This is a difficult chapter for me. I am not sure I understand all the symbolism. I wondered, “Lord, God, what’s Your Word for me this morning? What is my faith nugget, my entry into You and Your life?”

Verse 17 began to sparkle. Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring—those who keep God’s commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus.

I have an enemy… God’s enemy, the devil…Satan (9) cannot defeat God so he is going after God’s offspring, those who love and follow Jesus.

The world is not merely benign, a neutral place where I can loose my way if I am not careful. Martin Luther described the struggle in our world quite well in his famous song, A Mighty Fortress:

For still our ancient foe

doth seek to work us woe;

his craft and power are great,

and armed with cruel hate,

on earth is not his equal.

(stanza 1b)

 

And though this world, with devils filled,

should threaten to undo us,

(stanza 3a)

The world is not merely benign because the devil is waging war against us!

But chapter 12 is not the entire story either. Luther understood that even amidst the tumult and the war with God’s enemy, God was on our side.  God would care for us as God cares for the woman in verses 13 and following. Luther describes it this way:

A mighty fortress is our God,

a bulwark never failing;

our helper he amid the flood

of mortal ills prevailing.

For still our ancient foe

doth seek to work us woe;

his craft and power are great,

and armed with cruel hate,

on earth is not his equal.

(stanza 1)

 

And though this world, with devils filled,

should threaten to undo us,

we will not fear, for God hath willed

his truth to triumph through us.

The Prince of Darkness grim,

we tremble not for him;

his rage we can endure,

for lo, his doom is sure;

one little word shall fell him.

(stanza 3)

So even as I am reminded about the truth and danger of God’s enemy, who is always lurking and attacking, I am reminded all the more that God is watching out for me.

I need to be vigilant against Satan, but his doom is sure, so no matter what he throws my way I will cling to Jesus and in the end be saved. Alleluia. 

Thank You Jesus…

Did we in our own strength confide,

our striving would be losing,

were not the right man on our side,

the man of God's own choosing.

Dost ask who that may be?

Christ Jesus, it is he;

Lord Sabaoth, his name,

from age to age the same,

and he must win the battle.

Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment