Wednesday, October 28: 1Timothy 3- How we live matters.

There was a sentence in this chapter that caught my attention. It appears toward the end of the chapter. Paul writes, Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth (14-15).

It was the comment people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household that particularly caught my attention. It seems to me that too often in our world that people associate belief with faith. This verse reminds me that it is not belief alone but personal conduct, which clearly is fueled and informed by belief, matters. Conduct matters to God. God watches how we live not just what we say we believe. This reminds me of James’ word that faith with out works is dead (James 2:14 and following).

What I am hearing through the word today reminds me that how I live matters…

·         how I treat other people,

·         how I speak with other people

·         the kinds of activities I engage in

·         how I use my resources

·         how I leverage or do not leverage my influence for good and for God,

·         etc.

all of these behaviors and so many more reflect my faith or lack of faith.

Growing up, my parents regularly said, ‘Actions speak louder than words.’ It seems that Paul might have said to Timothy, ‘Your conduct speaks louder than what you say you believe.’ Certainly this is what I am hearing from the Lord this morning and it is causing me to review my conduct to see if my conduct shows the world, “I am a Christ follower.”

How about your conduct?

Lord, sometime I reduce faith to belief alone. What I believe matters, but today You remind me that belief to be real and true will naturally impact behavior. Lord, I am also realizing that what other people see is my behavior… so how I live really does matter.

So, Lord, please help me to be a person whose behavior honors You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment