Friday, December 18: Psalm 76- Do you believe in the Lord God Almighty?.

It is you alone who are to be feared.

Who can stand before you when you are angry?

From heaven you pronounced judgment,

and the land feared and was quiet—

when you, God, rose up to judge,

to save all the afflicted of the land.

Surely your wrath against mankind brings you praise,

and the survivors of your wrath are restrained (7-10).

The Lord, our Lord God Almighty, alone is to be feared! This is the message that screamed off the page to me this morning.

Every day the news media seems to peddle fear, the way they announce breaking news or script their stories.  It seems that they are working to arouse our fear… something terrible may happen to us.

Asaph, the psalmist, sings of an ultimate fear… fear of the one who casts down armies and directs world (as well as personal judgments). It is not the baals or the Buddha; it is not Muslim’s Allah or new age spirit guides, it is the Lord God, Jehovah, the God of the Bible, who alone is to be feared. The Lord God alone pronounces judgments to save some and bring down others.

I sat and thought… about the awesomeness of the Lord. If I am going to believe the Bible, then I must believe the God of the Scriptures is THE Lord God Almighty…

I do believe this… do you?

Lord, I bow to You. I honor You as THE God among all gods. I worship You. I adore You. I will obey You. Where I sin against You, I beg Your mercy and grace through faith in Jesus Christ, Your only Son and my Lord. Through Christ, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment